Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Happiest Place On Earth Part TWO

If you haven't read, The Happiest Place On Earth Part ONE , you might want to do that before you read on here, otherwise you might be lost. Or this could totally make sense. I might be lucky.

So, we had the tears already. I was not expecting that at all. I just never know what I'm gonna get with my girlies anyway, but I would have never guessed that there would be tears within the first 15 minutes of us stepping foot in the most magical place ever, but what are ya gonna do? That's kids for you. So, very early on, hubby and I had to come to the understanding that This was not about us. This was about the kiddos first, right? I mean, as hard as it was to "be the grown up" in this situation (at Disneyland), it really is for the kids. And us too, but we for sure come in second. And part of me just loved the innocence of my girls. They really were afraid. They are so young. They are so young. Even though they know all the words to every single High School Musical/Hannah Montana/ Jonas Brothers/Camp Rock song, and show me daily glances into their teenage futures. They are still delightfully little. They are still very much acting their ages. So part of me really loved and appreciated that. But the other part of me really wanted to go on Space Mountain, The Matterhorn, Indiana Jones, and The Haunted House. Not to mention Snow White. But, it is what it is.

Shortly after we had resigned to the fact that we would be riding the teacups all day (all the while encouraging, Let's just try the rides once, and if you don't like it you never have to go on it again...just try it...pleeeease?), they surprised us and agreed to try Splash Mountain. I think it really helped when they could actually see a ride before going on it. The funny thing is, the part that you see of Splash Mountain is that very last steep, ear piercing drop down. That's what they saw and that's what convinced them to go on it. Whatever it takes. We didn't question...we just quickly got in line and prayed we'd make it on the ride before they changed their little minds. My oldest was scared.to.death. at the beginning of the ride. Lips trembling and everything (I do think my youngest was totally feeding off the older one. If the older one had been cool with it, she would have too, right from the beginning). By the end of the ride, she was declaring far and wide how FUN that was and that we had to do it again...RIGHT NOW! So we did. Because you never know when the tides will turn again. And they did, because right after we went on it again, my little one declared far and wide how NOT FUN that was and that she was not going on it again. Ever.

But thankfully they were still willing to try out some more rides. Somehow in the mix, I convinced them to try Pirates of the Caribbean. I assured them that it was more funny than it was scary. We like pirates, right? Ahoy there, me hearties! (I said in my best Captain Feathersword voice) I told them that it was one of my favorites when I was little. That was my grown up brain talking. Yes, it's funny, but hello...it IS dark and scary in there. My grown up brain kind of chose to overlook that, because I just really wanted to go on it. So as soon as the ride gets going...my oldest starts crying. And the crying quickly changes to weeping. I. am. such. a. bad. mom. I feel horrible. I kept telling her how funny it was going to be, just around the corner...look...a dog...she hated it and after that, whatever grain of trust she had in me was lost. I will hear her retell that story when she's 30. I know it.

So, I promise that it wasn't all doom and gloom at Disneyland for us (I just broke another rule by putting "doom and goom" in the same sentence as "Disneyland," didn't I?). Those are just the parts that sort of stuck with me, because I was not expecting them at all. I imagined a much different outcome. And it's funny to me now. I like the fact (now) that we could go to Disneyland and cry. I mean, who does that? We are so original, right? And we quickly adjusted, because we were at Disneyland and the more I looked around, the more I noticed other similar situations among other families with small children. I just choose to talk about it in very long blog posts. Even so, taking it down a few notches, doesn't change the magic that is Disneyland.

By the end of the day (Midnight), the girls had declared Splash Mountain and Big Thunder their favorite rides. So we did get to enjoy a couple of the "big" rides. They got to meet and get autographs from Mickey and Minnie and friends (we wanted to live in their houses--how fun are they?). Got into the pin trading in a big way (such great souvenirs!). Danced with the princesses (and got our hair done all fancy pants). Got to Level 3 on the Buzz Lightyear ride (that was so fun). Drove like little maniacs (they take after their father) on the Autopia ride. And we did end up going on Alice In Wonderland (after I convinced them that the Queen wasn't scary, she just had big boobies), Pinocchio, and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (which were, indeed, scary to them). But it was magical. We didn't want to leave. We're already planning on going back next year. My oldest has already had the tears at home, at bedtime, because she really misses Disneyland. That's what I really wanted all along. To have that tender longing to go back to something special. To realize how lucky we really were. For the magic to sink in. I think it did.

3 comments:

Lex the mom said...

Awesome, awesome story! I went "awww" several times & think I would have done the same as you did - in the same situations (who doesn't want to ride the big rides! It is D-land after all!!).

The memories are still fresh, but even when they're tucked away, you have all this to remind you - unless of course the internet goes ka-put, like they say. Heh. I hope that NEVER happens!

You will have an email about the posting issues in just a bit.

Sunshine said...

Hey friend! You are so sweet! I owe you a very long e-mail, and I think I figured out the HTML bit. I think. Thanks so much for helping me out. I have many, many more pics I could put up, but I think I may have too many up already.

Next time it will be all about the big rides...my kiddos have promised. Cuz, "we'll be bigger!" Ha ha...we shall see!

Yeah...losing the internet would be bad. Very bad. I would cry. :)

Liesl said...

Next time the girls can go with me! I'm not a big ride person. I *hated* the splash mountain. I will never go on that again... And mr. Toad... isn't that the one that the trains runs you over and you end up in hell? Not very Disney-like!
Do they have the Winnie the pooh ride in DL? It's one of my favorites, it's sooooo cute it hurts. And I agree, the snow white is a scary ride! At least in WDW it is, it's called SW's scary adventures.

I liked POC but I thought it was dark & scary for little kids. Thomas was *very* scared.

What's the Pinocchio ride about? they don't have that at WDW...
xoxo