Friday, August 22, 2008

Friday's Foto Finish Fiesta

Meet Hobbes. Our rather laaaarge cat. I took this picture the other day, cuz it is only recently that we have a cat again. He's been living in our laundry room, most of his days sprawled out over the dryer, for the last eight months now. He's been a sad cat. Eight months ago he lost a good friend, Calvin--our yellow lab. They were buds. They ate together, slept together, Hobbes even groomed Calvin. Growing up with a dog, Hobbes had no idea he was actually a cat. If he could bark, he would.

We lost Calvin last New Year's Eve. It was very sudden and sad, sad, sad. I still cannot bring myself to really talk about that day on here. Awful. We miss him terribly, terribly. He was the first thing hubby and I got after we were married. We didn't get furniture, we got a puppy. We got him when he was 5 weeks old. He was our dog child for 11 1/2 years. He was Hobbes' dog for 7.

In February we adopted another dog. Hobbes was more than a little mad at us. This is when he moved into the laundry room. He was one confused, sad and po'd kitty. He did not take to our new dog at all. Also around this time, we realized he had something wrong with his toe, and he had to have one of his toes amputated. So there was that too. He was completely traumatized. Grieving, confused, one toe less, and mad, mad, mad.

We prayed for him. Took turns visiting him in the laundry room. We wanted our kitty back. Our new dog wanted a kitty brother. She's all about the cat. In a good way.

Somehow...eight months later, Hobbes left the laundry room. Just like that we have a cat again. He pretty much thinks he's top dog again, and even our new dog knows that Hobbes is The Boss.

To participate in Friday's Foto Finish Fiesta (and you must, you must), go to:

http://carriestuckmann.blogspot.com/



Hobbes. No, I did not photo shop his itty bitty head on that big ol' body of his...that is really ALL him.


Calvin. This was last Christmas. This was totally Calvin. He had no idea how big he was. Totally thought he was a lap dog!



Calvin & Hobbes. The boys having a little snuggle...

23 comments:

Chris M. said...

I have friends with a cat that large. Named him Smitty.

True story.

-Chris
Weather Moose

JWilson said...

I'm glad your cat has finished his grieving process and you have him back!

Susie said...

Wow! You could ride him to work:-)

Thanks for stopping by my blog today:-) Sorry about the shivers:-)

Rena Jones said...

Awwwwwwww! **sniff**

SouthernDogwoods said...

Aww, that makes me sad that your pup is no longer here. What a precious cat though! Great Friday Foto post

Jennifer said...

Oh no--I'm sorry about your dog. He looks like he was a real sweetheart--I love the "lap dog" pic! I lost my dog of 16 years and I know how hard it is!

That's one fat kitty!

Lori said...

Calvin and Hobbes are both huge! I'm sorry you lost Calvin. Sounds like the kind of pup who would make anyone smile. Now Hobbes can go pout in the laundry room because the post was about him but I'm commenting about Calvin. :)

Jenny said...

What a lovely, but terribly sad, story.
I'm glad Hobbes is 'back'.
We have a gold lab named Boris (as in 'Boris & Natasha'), and I love the names Calvin & Hobbes (one of my favourite comics!) Boris is 14 yrs old now, and we are amazed that he is still hanging in there.
Isn't it funny how dogs think they can fit into, or onto, small places. I guess it is what makes them so lovable.

A New Yorker said...

WOW he is huge. I am gonna send people here when then dig on my Olivia who died in April after almost 17 years on this earth with me. She was a big girl but people were really rude about how they said it! Your cat next to the dog, man o man he's a big boy. Glad you got him back!

debi9kids said...

Thank you for your lovely comments on my blog.
I think your blog is beautiful. I just love the look of it! My whole house is Americana. :)

I just LOVE labs. They are such sweet dogs. We have a HUGE lab named Dennis and he too has no idea how big her really is. LOL

Cute story. Thanks for sharing!
:) Debi

Jen said...

I feel for you.... we had a wonderful Black Lab, White Sox, who passed away a year & a half ago. He was 13 & we grieved terribly.... we still do. A year ago, we bought our daughters a Golden Lab, Luke, as we were all longing for another Lab.... there are no better dogs out there in our eyes. Even though we LOVE our Luke & cherish every moment with him, our hearts still ache for our beloved friend who showed us all what Labs were all about. I'm so glad you have found another one to share your lives with! And I LOVE the pics of the animals! We are animal lovers & think there's nothing better than a wonderful pet to share our lives with! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog & introducing yourself! Your blog was just what I needed today! I plan on visiting often!

Jennifer P. said...

I love that they bonded and sad that the cat lost his buddy. Our animals really do become like furry, kind of dumb children, don't they :)?!

Glad Hobbes decided to join in the family again. And I just loved all your vacation pictures. I'm sooooo tired right now or I'd comment on every one of them. BUt I really did read everything. "Pretty sure I'm reading your blog"....ha!

Dee said...

I love that last photo of the buddie together. Mum has a cat similar in size. We had a dog and cat devoted to each other when I was a teenager, its very sad when they loose their friend.

Stacy said...

Haha - your pets are adorable. I love how their personality resonates from the photos. Thanks for stopping by my blog for Friday Foto Fiesta! It is such a fun day isn't it?! The perfect excuse to go through all those digital pictures. Hope you stop back by again soon!

Debbie said...

We got our cat Hobbes' name from the comic strip too. There was one where Hobbes would bolt out the door and knock Calvin down when he came home from school That was so the essence of our kitty that is how he got his name.

I'm sorry for your loss of Calvin. I understand that too.

Great pictures

Michelle said...

I'm glad that your cat is returning to his old self. We lost one of our cats last year. Peta still wanders the house crying for his brother.
This is my first time visiting your blog and I will definitely be back. Love the legoland photos, we will have to add that to the family vacation dream list.
Thanks for visiting my blog and yes, I will send you some of our rain. You can it all! :)

Debbie said...

I actually did a post about our cat Hobbes and Trixie. While our cat is a Manx and has no tale, their coloring is much the same.

http://myblog-randomthoughts.blogspot.com/2008/04/truce.html

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Oh, so sorry about the loss of Calvin. What a great relationship they had. I'm so glad Hobbes came out of his grieving and is back to being himself again! Cats and dogs are so fascinating. My cat hates our dogs, yes all of them, and she is totally the queen of the house, even with 6 or 7 dogs running around. And the best part is some of the dogs are scared of her! haha
Oh and I love the names, Calvin & Hobbes!

Insane Mama said...

I love them cuddling together...

Shannon said...

Awww... so cute that Calvin and Hobbes were best buds. Sorry to hear you lost Calvin :(

Help Matt and Madeline said...

Hi There!

Hi Kathryn,

We saw your comment on Matt's blog about wanting to be a creep. If you want to be included in our email distribution list about future projects to help M& M email us your email address at creepystrangerfriends@gmail.com or visit our blog at www.helpmattandmadeline.blogspot.com

Have a great day, the creeps

Cookie said...

I love this pic of Calvin and Hobbes - it's always so hard losing a dear pet. They are as much a part of the family as the ones that stand on 2 legs.

You have wonderful memories though ♥

Kristen Andrews said...

love the cat!