Monday, April 21, 2008

We're Not Talking About Frogs Here


My kiddos are really starting to notice that it's just been me and them a lot. A lot. Daddy's been doing a ton of traveling. The girls seem pretty oblivious and distracted most of the time, in their tiny worlds of Barbies and Hannah Montana. They seem to mainly bring up the subject of daddy at bedtime, after the third glass of water, the fact that one of their toenails is this long, or bringing up a huge question about life that momma doesn't have the energy to Google at the moment. For the most part, they are handling Just The Three Of Us better than I am.


But the other day, the subject of daddy was brought up in the light of day. I was driving A-girl to preschool and I asked her what she thought she was going to learn that day. I was expecting her to say, "the letter q," or "frogs," or even bring up the fact that she had string cheese and jelly beans for snack. You know, big dealies to a 4-year-old.


Instead she thoughtfully answered, "I think I'm just going to miss daddy today." Break my heart into a million pieces right then and there why don't you! Then she went on to say, "I wish daddy worked at Target with great grandpa." I really had to give that girl a big ol' understanding smile in the rear view mirror. I know, baby, I know... I reached around the seat and squeezed her little foot. And though I don't know if that would be the best answer for our situation at the moment, I totally get why she would think it would be. It would be nice to have daddy around more, and that 10% discount wouldn't hurt either.

1 comment:

KatBouska said...

Awwww...what a sweetheart. I bet it kills Daddy to hear stuff like that...at least I know it would kill me!!