Sunday, November 22, 2009

Don't Get Me Started



Yesterday my sister-in-law, niece and mother-in-law came over to bake a huge amount of Christmas cookies.  While the kids planned little mini-shows for us upstairs, we dug into the flour, sugar and eggs and caught up. Usually there's a good chunk of time between our last visits, so there's plenty to talk about.  The first topic of conversation was of course, New Moon.  Had to be.  It's what everyone's talking about. My sister-in-law and I had seen it together the night before, so it was fresh.  We were still excited. 

Side Note: I was a tad more excited than my sister-in-law was, but she was doing a pretty good job.  I almost had to Facebook Status Update in the middle of the movie, "My sister-in-law is ruining this for me," because she kept laughing throughout the movie, especially when all the rest of us we're sighing at great length or cat-calling at the sights before us. 

So anyway, we gots to talking about it, and very quickly we realized that anything Twilight related is gonna have to go on the list of "Things Not to Talk About"--right under religion, politics and s-e-x. 

Side Note: I love my mother-in-law to pieces, but she is one of those peeps that when you're watching a movie together and a s-e-x scene comes on, she goes and does laundry--even when she's at my house.  It's really cute.

So whilst my sister-in-law and I were replaying the New Moon events of the previous evening (mainly werewolf muscles), I ask my mother-in-law if she has read the Twilight series.  She's a librarian and reads for sport.  She knows a lot.  She basically responded that she read the first one, but couldn't get into it. 

Silence.  Awkward silence.

We just looked at her in amazement.  Then the librarian in her came out and she proceeded to break the story down and said, "It's all about control."

Silence. 

She went on to dissect Twilight (into tiny pieces) of how much control Edward has over Bella.  She didn't like that.

And then I just had to say stuff.  Look, I'm an English major (don't let the spelling errors and lack of grammar fool you) and I'm used to breaking down the words, and turning them inside out and reading between the lines and errrrrthang.  But come ON!

How about the love story part?!  Didn't that get you just a little?  How about the, I'll-do-anything-to-be-with-you-even-if-I-have-to-become-a-vampire part (A VAMPIRE)?!  Look, I'm not even into vampires.  I swear this.  My sister, who at the time had read each book six times each and seen the movie a-very lot, peer pressured me (we might've wrestled) for months to read the books.  She took me to the movie before I read the books and I was HOOKED--on the love story.  The intensity.  Edward. I couldn't get my hands on the books fast enough. All those books are an escape for us romantics. Heavy on the distraction. Heavy. It's not the blood and gore and fangs (cuz there's really not a lot of that going on--I didn't see one fang).  It's the looooove.  L-O-V-E. Shoot, I'd become a vampire for that. 

Control.  What??? What are you saying to me right now over the Snickerdoodle dough?!  You need to read that book again and get yourself distracted. Do you even realize what Edward sacrafices for Bella in the next book?  Control.  Pfffft.

So, we totally had to stop talking about it, pass the Vanilla Extract and move the conversation to safer ground, like what everybody was bringing for Thanksgiving. 


Recipe for Snickerdoodles:

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes.aspx/snickerdoodles/7ffc92a9-d847-4869-9ecb-99de3b751b14?modalclose=1


3 comments:

Jen said...

"And then I just had to say stuff." Love it!

Jenny said...

I saw the movie last week and loved it too!
And I love the books!

I went with a friend who, "just could not get into it" when I gave her Twilight to read, but was willing to see the movies. She didn't particularly like New Moon as a movie either.

I guess you are either a fan, or not.

Hillary said...

Bowing to the master of blogging. I wuv your blog. It inspires me to blog...although I'm definitely in an I-can't-blog funk. Must write. Must write!