Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A Toe, Some Tears and A Lot of Band-Aids

I am inspired all over the place to write some poetry thanks to this girl--The Petersons Go Public ! Girl has skills. (Don't even try to forget it, Jennifer)

So yeah...I'll work on that, cuz right now I have a Momma-So-Proud story to share. Don't be disappointed, you've got Jennifer's poem to read until I write something of equal brilliance (sheeeyeeeah).

This has to do with A-girl. Poor girl is so five-years-old. She spent the summer in band-aids. Around June, she smashed one of her big toes and it actually lifted the toe nail (sorry, I know this is hard to read). It didn't come off, but it was literally hanging on by a thread. It hurt. It looked awful and to a five-year-old, it was about the worst thing that could happen. I took her to the doctor and she suggested keeping it trimmed and wrapped, because it would REALLY hurt to take it off. We were thankfully assured that a new nail would eventually grow back, but it would take a long time. In the meantime, A-girl has this nail hanging on, and catching on everything. We kept it wrapped with band-aids for months. A-girl wouldn't let us go near it, petrified we were going to take it off, so you can guess, the nail didn't get trimmed. It was not a pretty sight.

Well, each night, for prayers, her toe nail was right at the top of the list. We prayed and prayed (that the darn nail would hurry up and fall off) for her toe. We prayed the new nail would hurry up and grow. Finally (finally, finally) the nail came off. It was a good day. We had cake.

So, I'm tucking her into bed the other night and I noticed her new nail on her toe was half-way grown out. We are half way there! She had no idea, as she had moved on to bigger and better things, since the old nail had come off. She looked at that itty bitty new nail and immediately whooped, "THANK YOU, GOD! YOU ARE AMAZING!" (insert very large Momma smile) Indeed.

I tell you, all those tears, a fat bill, and gross (gross, gross) band-aids were worth (totally worth) that 5-year-old's joyful statement.


12 comments:

Lex the mom said...

That is reminiscent of an incident from my own childhood. I know that pain - boy, do I know it & I think I was 5 or 6 when it happened to me!

Tell your sweet A that it is absolutely awesome - even if it took forever - that she had the patience & whatever else it took to endure that!

That's a lovely story. I look forward to the posting of your poem.

Jenny said...

My daughter had a nail incident too. Unfortunately it was her little finger:
http://www.fourchooks.com/2006/06/laurens-miracle-fingernail-this-year.html

I can't believe a coffee would tasted like pumpkin pie!! I'm still trying to process that one.

Dee said...

She's a brave kid. Nails are icky when they "go bad". Why do toes hurt so much???? Says me with an ingrown. Ouch

Hillary said...

...and that's what it's all about...

::happy sigh::

Rena Jones said...

Sweet -- :) Glad to hear she's feeling better about her toe.

Jayne said...

oh bless her, she's adorable.

I have a condition with my nails that is hereditary. I have excess keratin so they are REALLY thick and they are also prone to whitlows, or infections underneath them. I won't go into the horrific detail but when this happens, the nail does come off. I've lost every nail several times over so I know that pain! She's a brave little one :) Big (((HUGS)))

Sunshine said...

Lex--Oh shoot, now I really do have to write a poem. Ha ha(I think I can...I think I can...)!

It seems like this toe nail thing (or lack thereof) is quite the common dilema. It was rough. Lots of tears. Lots. Did I mention the band-aids? Yeah, we went through A LOT of those.

Thank God it's over.

Great to see ya, Lex! Love your new profile pic!

Sunshine said...

Jenny--I'm off to read about the poor little finger. That is so hard as the momma when you can't really do anything. And A-girl's was *just* a nail. I can't imagine something *bigger*.

So, you're telling me that Starbucks out there in Australia (do you have them?) doesn't have Pumpkin Spice Lattes? I dare you to ask for one wherever you go for coffee next time. Then come on and blog about the reaction. Ha ha...

Sunshine said...

Dee--Oh noooo! Ingrowns are bad. Very bad.

I can only speak for my toes...they are reeeeally far down there and I think I foget they are there all the time. Plus, my love of flip flops don't help one bit. I am forever bumping my toes. Oooch.

Sunshine said...

Hill--exactly. :)

Sunshine said...

Rena-HI! Yes, we're pretty glad that's all over and done with too. Whew...it was a rough couple of months.

Sunshine said...

Mummy--Okay, that just sounds plain awful, awful, awful. I just want to hug you after hearing that. Takes the joy out of shoes and walking, I would imagine.

((hugs)) straight back to you!