Friday, October 3, 2008

So One Of Us

A-girl had her first sleepwalking episode last night. She is going through a phase where every single night, she wakes up at some point and climbs into bed with us. It's usually around 5:30 a.m. or so, we are used to her getting up. She is very big about talking in her sleep and sitting up in bed looking like she's wide awake but obviously totally "not there". However, this is the first time in A-girl history that we've actually seen her sleepwalk.

We had just gone to bed, around 10:30 p.m., last night. I had turned off the light and was on my way to dreamland, when we hear a, "Kerplunk!" It was the telltale sound of one of the girls rolling out of their bed. Then we hear the sound of little feet, and here comes A-girl shuffling through the hall. We have full view of the scene. We totally expect her to come into our room, but she walks past our room and into the bathroom. She tries to flush the toilet. She didn't go to the bathroom, it's only been mere seconds, she's just trying to flush. It occurs to hubbs and I that she is sleepwalking. We watch, amazed. She comes out of the bathroom, stops in the hall, standing there for a few seconds. Next, she walks in our direction and runs right smack into one of our bedroom doors (we have double doors). That door is actually shut and locked; it jiggles loudly in place. She doesn't react to it. Then she comes in our room and hops in bed. Not a peep, completely asleep.

Hubbs and I quietly laugh, cuz that is so A-girl. She is one of us. Hubby used to sleepwalk all the time when he was little. He had a lot of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs dreams, so looking back, he is pretty sure he was singing "Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's Off To Work We Go," with the Dwarfs, down his hallway.

Hubbs tells me I talk and laugh in my sleep. But I've only sleepwalked once that I know of. I was little, a little older than A-girl, and my family and I were staying at the beach, in this old two-story home, that had very steep stairs and a small hallway upstairs. I was sleeping with my cousin (who was in her twenties at the time). She saw me get up, walk down the hall, and turn on the bathroom light. Then she heard the toilet flush. She watched me walk back to the room, feeling along the wall. It looked like I was feeling for a door knob. Then I got back into bed. I don't remember it at all. After hearing about it, the scary part was those stairs. I remember thinking how I could have fallen down the stairs. I could have died (drama, drama)! Stairs and I do not get along.



So it was funny to see my own child do this. Not concerning yet, but of course, as the Momma, I totally rack my brain wondering if there's is something going on in her little life that is causing anxiety or anything. Hubbs tells me he used to sleepwalk right before a test. I can't think of anything A-girl would be worried about, so I just tuck it away for the memories for now, and blog about it, because it falls under the, "I am so blogging this" category.

10 comments:

Liesl said...

I used to sleepwalk too. But you guys are smooth sleepwalkers :)))
I would have combined sleepwalking/night terror episodes, walk around the house crying or screaming, turning on all the lights and walk into my parents bedroom sobbing really loud. I bet it really scared them. No reason at all for it, I guess I have always had very vivid dreams/nightmares. Oh, and I remember it well, as if it were today, my dad would wake me up and I would have the tears coming down my face. Not fun!

Hillary said...

I don't know that I've ever sleepwalked, but my brother and I used to have these arguments when we were in college. We'd be driving to school (we commuted an hour each way) and he and I would get into a heated argument. And he'd say, "Last night...YOU SAID...blah blah blah." And I would argue that I did NOT say any such thing. And he'd say that he had come into my room, turned on the light, I'd sat up, looked right at him and held a conversation. I had NO recollection of it.

After a few of these arguments I informed him that he had better stop turning on the light and discussing anything of importance because no matter how open my eyes were, my brain was sleeping.

Oh Oh Oh! (Sorry to blog on your blog, but here I go.) I think there IS a possibility that I have walked in my sleep. About four years ago...Alli was still in daycare/preschool (which is only important because I remember telling my friend who provided the daycare/preschooling.) I woke up one morning and found that I had a nightgown on over a set of pajamas I was wearing. I had gone to bed in the pajamas and had NO IDEA where the nightgown had come from. I mean it was mine, but I didn't remember putting it on.

A few weeks/months later, the same thing happened. My friend and I laughed a lot over it and she said, "Well at least you don't get up and UNdress in your sleep." :)

Dee said...

Have you googled "Sleepwalking"... I know you want to....

My brother had night terrors, but I think I was sleepwalk free.

I think S might become one, her dad used to do it, and she has a few indicators at present ..oh I sound like an expert ha ha "indicators".

Dont you have stairs at your house??? Might need a gate.

Hillary said...

And one more thing...

I was LMHO @ hubbs dreaming about Snow White and the Seven Dwarves ... and singing Hi Ho! Bahaha, that's almost as good as his Zac moment...maybe better...haven't decided.

Hillary said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sunshine said...

Renata--That sounds soooooo scary to me! I hope T doesn't get those!

Sunshine said...

Hill--LOL at putting on a nightgown in your sleep! That is so freaky to me that you (we) could do something like that and NOT know we are doing it at all. Freakity.

I do have a funny story of my dad sleepwalking. Shhhh, don't tell him I told you...

He was dreaming he was fishing and he had to um...relieve himself. So in real life, my mom wakes up to see my dad um...peeing in the clothes hamper. True story.

Sunshine said...

Dee--you know me well, girl! I love that you love to Google too. :)

Yes, we have stairs, but there is a nice WIDE hall, not a creepy narrow one like at the beach house. Still...now I'm gonna freak out about that. ;D

Sunshine said...

Hill--Yes, hubbs will appreciate me sharing that little tid bit.

He was only SEVEN, people! Ha ha...it's not like he's doing that today (that I know of). ;D

Hillary said...

LOL @ your dad and the hamper...which I NEVER heard, so your secret's safe.

And it doesn't matter HOW old your hubbs was when he was into Snow White. It's just plain funny.

:D