Friday, August 6, 2010

This Is Not A Dream (Part 3)


Back to the story.  Now, where was I? On an island, shave ice, roosters, gigantic circle pool, almost drowned, yada, yada, yada...Right.  Still with me?  I'll try to make this one short and sweet. 

It's very hard to narrow down all that you want to do when you are in Kauai.  There is so much beauty to see and everything is so easy to get to.  There are many reasons not to be inside your hotel room.  BUT we only had so many days and so many coconuts, so we had to break it down.  We managed to get a great discount on a handful of activities. 

One of the activities we were lucky enough to do was a Catamaran cruise up the Na Pali coastline.  If you go to Kauai, DO THIS.  It's a 5 1/2 hour cruise/snorkeling/lunch/AWESOME.  It is beautiful.  You get to see parts of the island you can only get to by foot, helicopter or boat.  My prerequisite was dolphins and we sure saw dolphins--lots of them.  I was a very happy girl. I would show you the video, but I sound ridiculous in it, cuz I'm so ridiculous with the happiness. The Bottlenose dolphins swam with our boat and the Spinners spun. They were very leap-ey and talented. We saw sea turtles and one flying fish.  We swam with the feeeeeshes. A lot of fishes. Nemo, Dory and The Little Mermaid were there.

One thing you have to do in Kauai is snorkel. People will wonder about you if you went to Kauai and didn't snorkel. It's an opportunity to see life just below the surface, that you completely forget is even there, when you are not. Swimming in the ocean was amazing for me too. Like swimming in the way out there part of the ocean, the you are in the ocean, surrounded by nothing but more ocean part.  There were probably sharks down there.  I'm lucky to be alive.  Again.



You have to do and see stuff when you are in Kauai.  At least the first time you go. But it is also important to do absolutely nothing.  We had a very good balance of doing things and absolutely not doing things.  Many times we commented how long the days seemed there.  How slow time went.  Doesn't it usually seem the opposite, when you're on vacation?  Another bonus to Kauai, I suppose.  And the fact that we got up at 5:30 a.m. to do things like swim with dolphins had something to do with it as well.  I have to say, we totally found ourselves glad to hit the pillow early, like every night.  I don't know if that is age, or just what being completely relaxed and happy does for you.  I tried not to question.



p.s. See The Hubbs with the laptop on the beach?  Stay tuned, that's a whole other blog post.


1 comment:

Rena Jones said...

Sounds like so much fun!